Taking poetry on the road
POETRY SLAM: Roxanne Whiting’s English class performed round two of a poetry slam recently at Deb’s Bakery, Diner & Donuts where students act out poetry they write or select from other authors. Whiting said 65 students were in round one. That was whittled to the 20 who performed at the donut shop. Five will advance to finals at Stone Hearth Estates where Josh Clark was declared the winner by judges who decide who advances and who wins. Last year’s slam winner was Lauren Schmiett who returned this year as slam master.
Pictured (right) are judges (clockwise from foreground) Schmiett, AJ Whiting, resource teacher Carol Keiser, Becki Wardyn and Nikki Brand. Left, Mackenzie Brand performs. This was the third year of the contest that Whiting said is a competitive art of performance poetry that takes place in coffeehouses and bars across the nation.
- Swim team compete at league championship
- Mentoring said to stay with kids all their lives
- Gothenburg man dies in single-car accident
- History preserved
- Sewer improvements
- Brady Days ‘brand wagon’ offers something for everyone
- Ag leaders unite to address property taxes, other issues
- Monday morning accident