Swede golfers hit personal bests to win county meet
Four Gothenburg girls medal.
LEXINGTON—Gothenburg golfers captured five of the eight individual medals at the Dawson County meet in Lexington on Friday to dominate for the team title.
The Swedes totaled 535 in a scoring format that uses five players. Lexington was second with 568 and Cozad came in third at 608.
“As a team, we really clustered our scores well,” said Swede coach Jim Henke. “It was the best team performance that we have had in awhile.”
Had the scoring format used the traditional four lowest finishes, Henke said the Swede team score would have been 427, the best for the year.
Abrea Hernandez of Lexington took first place individually carding 98.
Swede golfers earned second, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh place medals.
Junior Anna Boson led the way for Gothenburg by scoring a 46 on the back nine after starting with 57 on the front to place second.
Freshman Heidi Teahon continued her improving play with a fourth place medal carding 107.
One stroke back, Sidney Thompson and Jourdan Matthies finished fifth and sixth respectively at 108.
Elizabeth Graham collected hardware in seventh place shooting 109.
“It was the first medals collected by both Heidi and Jourdan,” Henke said. “Jourdan had her career best while Heidi was just one stroke off of her personal best.”
Haley Scheidt and Brittany Ostergard both recorded personal best scores as well.
The Swedes host a dual with North Platte at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday before traveling to the Holdrege Invite Saturday. Tee off is at 9 a.m.
1. Gothenburg 535; 2. Lexington 568; 3. Cozad 608.
TOP 8 GOLFERS
1. Abrea Hernandez, Lex 98
2. Anna Boson, Goth 103
3. Rachael Leibhart, Lex 106
4. Heidi Teahon, Goth 107
5. Sidney Thompson, Goth 108
6. Jourdan Matthies, Goth 108
7. Elizabeth Graham, Goth 109
8. Kelli Bomberger, Lex 110
Anna Boson 57-46—103
Heidi Teahon 57-50—107
Sidney Thompson 52-56—108
Jourdan Matthies 54-54—108
Elizabeth Graham 52-57—109
Haley Scheidt 57-56—113
Brittany Ostergard 65-61—126
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair