Scooping to skate
WINTRY RECREATION: One youngster scoops snow from Lake Helen to create a skating rink while his friend takes advantage of the cleared ice last Friday. Temperatures so far in January have been conducive to skating and should remain so until Friday when they are expected to climb into the lower 40s.
People have skated on Lake Helen since it was created in 1890 and, in 1895, G.P. & I. Company placed an arc light at the south end of the lake that skaters thought was a great benefit to their night skating parties, according to the Gothenburg Area History book.
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates
- Playground equipment tops Lake Helen priority
- School administrators reorganize with one less
- Turning to the next page
- The Crossing gets special use permit
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Hotline brings sellers and buyers together