Scooping to skate
WINTRY RECREATION: One youngster scoops snow from Lake Helen to create a skating rink while his friend takes advantage of the cleared ice last Friday. Temperatures so far in January have been conducive to skating and should remain so until Friday when they are expected to climb into the lower 40s.
People have skated on Lake Helen since it was created in 1890 and, in 1895, G.P. & I. Company placed an arc light at the south end of the lake that skaters thought was a great benefit to their night skating parties, according to the Gothenburg Area History book.
- Four Swedes finish season at state meet
- Swedes advance to post-season play
- Eagles remain atop District 9 standings
- Ag Land management workshop in Lexington
- Lake, park proposed project revealed
- Vandalism under investigation
- Beauty can shine through at any age
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet