Scooping to skate
WINTRY RECREATION: One youngster scoops snow from Lake Helen to create a skating rink while his friend takes advantage of the cleared ice last Friday. Temperatures so far in January have been conducive to skating and should remain so until Friday when they are expected to climb into the lower 40s.
People have skated on Lake Helen since it was created in 1890 and, in 1895, G.P. & I. Company placed an arc light at the south end of the lake that skaters thought was a great benefit to their night skating parties, according to the Gothenburg Area History book.
- New Methodist pastor takes long road to town
- Time for Farmer’s Market
- Quiz of the day…Will next year’s insurance rates go up or down?
- Bryce Larson competes at new weight class in Maine
- Juniors take aim at club championship
- Climate regs matter to you
- Dawson County shows best, worst of water level changes in NRD
- Prep for fiber begins