Four-state meat goat seminar, show set
LEXINGTON—The Seventh Annual Four State Goat Expo will begin at 8 a.m. with registration at the Dawson County Fairgrounds Saturday, Oct. 3, said Randy Saner, Lincoln/McPherson County Extension Educator.
Entries and weigh in of show and sale goats will take place Friday from 6 to 9 p.m.
Although Kansas, Colorado, South Dakota and Nebraska are the official four states in the name, the event is expected to draw up to 300 participants from a seven-state area, Saner said.
Program topics include:
- Goat Nutrition for the Great Plains—Frank Pinkerton
- Improving Reproduction in the Goat—Beth Walker
- Parasite Management—Randy Saner
- Famacha Training—Randy Saner
- Fitting and Showing Goats—Beth Walker
- The Ligher Side of Goats—Dr. Joe Jeffrey
- Disease Concerns from Goats to Humans—Dr. Todd Longfellow
- Economics of Raising Goats—Frank Pinkerton
- Producer Panel—Beth Walker, Roland Helberg, Jo Bek and Frank Pinkerton
Added attractions include commercial vendors, door prizes and a goat raffle, a Nebraska products display and a meat goat breeders’ display, Saner said.
Beth Walker will judge the Sunday show, which begins at 9 a.m. in the Stevens Arena. Grand and reserve champion awards are sponsored by G Man Feed and Seed Store. The sale starts at 1 p.m. with auctioneer Wendell Brott.
For more information, call your local extension office or download an agenda and registration form from the Website at http://www.4sgoatexpo.com.
- Lake Helen coming to life
- Dist. 20 state aid chopped
- Dawson County 4-H students return from trip East
- Rodeo, fun walk part of July 4 events
- Pony Express Re-ride gallops past Gothenburg
- Jack Ostergard part of Nebraska Sandhills Cowboy Hall of Fame
- Commissioners receive four bids for new culverts
- City council forced to go with gut over escaped dog