School cafeteria expansion on district’s drawing board
Lines snake outside the Gothenburg Public School cafeteria doors as students wait to eat lunch.
Once seated, they have 15 to 20 minutes to cram down food and clean off their trays to free table space for the next surge of students.
Students and parents alike have complained about the limited time to eat and quality of food.
District 20 school board members hope to fix that problem with expansion and renovation of the cafeteria and other areas of the Community Building.
After meeting with DLR Group officials and a cafeteria consultant Monday, members authorized the firm to design a plan to increase dining space, add a commons area and move the kitchen to the south part of the Community Building.
Conceptually, superintendent Mike Teahon said the design will increase dining space from 3,600 to 7,600 square feet.
The plan will also
Find the complete story in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair