Gothenburg golfers struggle at Holdrege
Swedes finish seventh.
HOLDREGE—The Holdrege Country Club has plenty of obstacles to taunt unfamiliar golfers.
Tree and water hazards are not something Gothenburg golfers practice with every day.
Add recently aerated greens on the front nine and the course became frustrating to many high school golfers Saturday.
Gothenburg finished seventh of 12 teams at the Holdrege Invite without a medalist.
Minden took the team title with a combined score of 392. Grand Island Northwest and McCook tied for second, both just one shot back at 393.
Allie Exstrom of Minden won the individual title shooting 81.
“Pars and even bogeys were hard to come by,” said coach Jim Henke.
Elizabeth Graham led the Swedes with an 18-hole score of 105, one stroke from a medal.
“Liz had less trouble than the rest of the team,” Henke said. “She actually played quite well but had several putts end up just short due to the aeration holes in the green.”
Freshman Heidi Teahon played consistent with 60 and 58 for 118. Anna Boson shot 63 and 60 for a total of 123 followed by Haley Scheidt with 64 and 60 totalling 124.
“The girls agreed that the aeration definitely caused them some extra strokes,” Henke said.
Solid scores in the previous couple of meets were encouraging for the Swedes, the coach said.
“Now the girls have to put this behind them and try to regain their confidence,” he said.
Gothenburg will travel down the road to Cozad on Thursday for the Southwest Conference meet. Tee times begin at 10 a.m.
Then the Swedes must focus on the C-4 district meet at Meadowlark Hills in Kearney on Tuesday.
Teams included in the district are Broken Bow, Burwell, Centura, Cozad, Gibbon, Gothenburg, Kearney Catholic, Loup City, Minden, Ravenna, St. Paul, Superior and Wood River.
1. Minden 392; 2. (tie) Grand Island Northwest and McCook 393; 4. Hastings 417; 5. Holdrege 420; 6. Aurora 427; 7. Gothenburg 470; 8. Lexington 506; 9. Holdrege B 506; 10. Superior 576; Dundy County and Broken Bow, no team scores.
TOP 15 GOLFERS
1. Allie Exstrom, Minden 81
2. Amy Knapp, GINW 88
3. Shelby Allen, McCook 90
4. Morgan Kristensen, Minden 92
5. Kaylee Samway, McCook 93
6. Ashlyn Hoegh, Aurora 94
7. Taylor Thompson, Hastings 94
8. Abrea Hernandez, Lexington 96
9. Jenna Blazer, Hastings 99
10. Laura Gustafson, Holdrege 99
11. Sarah Phinney, GINW 99
12. Heather Anderson, Minden 100
13. Rachel Leibert, Lexington 101
14. Megan Jenneman, GINW 101
15. Emily Cox, Holdrege 104
Elizabeth Graham 53-52—105
Heidi Teahon 60-58—118
Anna Boson 63-60—123
Haley Scheidt 64-60—124
Jourdan Matthies 60-65—125
Sidney Thompson 68-62—130
- Luncheon Carolers
- Eagles grounded
- Brady bounces Paxton, Twin Loup
- Brady school board working through superintendent search
- Generous donations push Shares fund closer to the top
- Reeves named to OWH All-Nebraska first team
- County board agrees to remodeling bids
- Swede girls get confidence and a win at Grant