Speech team okay with No. 2
Swedes close to earning fourth state championship.
Huge is how Swede speech adviser Dan Jensen and assistant adviser Keri Dudley refer to the two-point difference that separated runner-up Gothenburg and sweepstakes winner Omaha Marion during the Class B state speech meet Thursday.
Omaha Marion earned 90 points to Gothenburg’s 88.
Teams earn points only for performances that make it to finals.
“I was tickled, especially to make it into the top two,” Jensen said, noting that he was concerned when only five Swedes made it into finals during competition.
Jensen credits the No. 2 finish to the strength of the competition at districts in Sidney.
“With a tougher district, it limited the numbers that Gothenburg could sent to state but the competitors from our district were quality competitors,” he said.
Four of the five Swedes who made it into finals wore gold medals around their necks at the end of the awards ceremony at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.
Find the complete story and individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair