Melons face uphill battle in Area 6
Gothenburg will have a tough road ahead through the American Legion Class B Area 6 Seniors Tournament beginning Friday in Minden.
The Melons carry the seventh seed into the tournament with a 4-19 record after dropping their final regular-season game to Shelton/Gibbon Monday night.
Last seed does not mean lost hope, though. Gothenburg isn’t giving up on being the Cinderella team.
The Seniors face No. 2 seed McCook in the opening round at 5 p.m. Friday at Ollie Bjorkland Field in Minden.
The last time Gothenburg played McCook, the Melons had a 5-2 lead going into the bottom of the sixth inning before they gave up six runs and lost 8-7.
Should Gothenburg get past McCook in the first round, the Melons will play the winner of the No. 3 Holdrege/No. 6 Minden game at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
If McCook wins, Gothenburg will have to come back through the losers bracket for any chance at a state berth.
The first consolation game will be at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
Broken Bow captured the top seed in the Area 6 tournament and received a bye in the first round. Shelton/Gibbon is the No. 4 seed and will play No. 5 Cozad in the first round.
The Area 6 championship is scheduled for 5 p.m. on July 25 in Minden. The winner will advance to the Class B state tournament in Wahoo beginning July 28.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates