Area News Digest
Taken from the news columns of area newspapers.
Final bell rings for historic CPS landmark
COZAD—The final bell ran for a historic Cozad Haymaker landmark as a training burn was to take place by members of the Cozad Volunteer Fire Department over the past weekend. The former elementary building, located on Eighth and Ninth Streets and Avenues C and D, was to be set aflame in an exercise to serve as an educational tool for area fire departments, before being torn down. In addition to Cozad firemen, other area volunteers were expected to be involved in the burn.—reported in the Tri-City Trib.
CPPD sees historic demand for electricity
BROKEN BOW—The Custer County Power District is experiencing historic levels of demands for electricity. The extreme pressure placed on the system during this irrigation season due to the hot, dry weather is stressing transmission systems, the high voltage lines that move electricity from power plants to CPPDs substations. To reduce that stress, CPPD has placed controls on irrigation wells. Officials met with a group of NPPD customers to review options and decided to divide up its nine power districts into three groups for more effective control where pivots would now be controlled form 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.—reported in the Custer County Chief.
Lemoyne man injured as cycle strikes deer
OGALLALA—A Lemoyne man was recently escaped serous injury in a motorcycle-deer collision when he was traveling north on Highway 61. Douglas Abegglen, 45, collided with a deer near mile marker 95 and was thrown from his 2008 Harley Davidson motorcycle. He was transported to the Ogallala Community Hospital where he was treated for a dislocated shoulder and “road rash” to his arms, stomach and back. The incident is the second motorcycle-deer collision this year.—reported in the Keith County News.
Village finally gets its first tornado siren
CURTIS—For many years the Village of Stockville had been without a tornado siren. But, thanks to the Village of Bartley, Stockville will soon have an operational siren. According to Stockville mayor, Nikki Buker, the siren is huge for the community as the last in Frontier County to get one. The Village of Bartley was replacing their tornado siren and agreed to donate their used one to the community of Stockville. A free-will donation breakfast was held to help defray the cost of transporting and installing the siren.—reported in the Frontier County Enterprise.
Residents raise funds for children’s
ARNOLD—Some 40 Arnold residents manned assembly lines at Harvest Christian Church in North Platte recently for the organization, “Feed My Starving Children.” The community stepped up to help the organization when the Arnold chapter of the National Junior Honor Society chose to raise money for the project. Students sold freezer pops the last week of school as well as other fund-raising events during the summer and had so far raised $225 with a goal of $700.—reported in the Arnold Sentinel.
Callaway Volunteer Fire Department joins the fight
CALLAWAY—With the parched grasses of Nebraska, Callaway and Arnold Fire Departments combined recently to put out the latest local fire at a home northwest of Callaway on Road 419. Both departments had sent crews and grass rigs to the huge fire raging in the hills and canyons of Keya Paha, Brown and Cherry counties on the Niobrara River. This was the third day that local fire fighters had rendered mutual aid joining 35 departments and the National Guard trying to contain what is now called the Fairfield Creek Fire.—reported in the Callaway Courier.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates