Swedes pad record with pair of wins
Gothenburg’s softball squad picked up a couple of easy victories Sept. 20 at Ogallala.
Chadron defeated 15-5
Gothenburg may have won by 10 runs, but it took the full seven innings and the Swedes didn’t pull away until the fourth inning.
“We played okay. We weren’t great,” Swede coach Roger Neujahr said. “They knew it was Chadron and we could win it without going real hard.”
Still, the game wasn’t out of reach for the Cardinals until the later innings.
Chadron roughed up a couple of Swede pitchers before regular starter Amanda Barkmeier shut down the Cardinals in the final three and two-third innings.
The first and fifth innings were big for Gothenburg with five and four runs, respectively.
Brittyn Munster went 3-for-4 for the Swedes.
“We hit the ball a little bit better,” Neujahr said. “We had better enthusiasm.”
Errors hurt Chase County
The Longhorns committed five errors and gave up five walks in an 11-2 loss to Gothenburg.
The Swedes jumped out to an early lead with four runs in the first and a pair in the second before closing strong with a four-run sixth inning.
Shay Wear went 3-for-5 at the plate to pace Gothenburg. Becca Riley and Hanna Wolf each hit a double.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates