Girls handle pressure but miss opportunities
NORTH PLATTE—The North Platte St. Pat’s Irish girls pulled off their full-court press against Gothenburg Thursday night because the Swedes were handling it so well.
“I think their coach was worried about us getting transition buckets,” said Gothenburg coach Chris Lecher.
The opportunities were there, he said, but the Swedes couldn’t capitalize on them as the state-ranked Irish made quick work of Gothenburg winning 58-37.
“We have to start being more aggressive offensively,” Lecher said.
One example of a missed opportunity came at the end of the first quarter. Trailing 13-7, the Swedes had an open three-pointer but missed. St. Pat’s picked up the rebound and a transition bucket for a 15-7 first quarter lead.
“That took the wind right out of our sails,” Lecher said.
Jacey Wiggins led Gothenburg’s scoring with 12 points while Regan Geiken added 11.
- SWC Girls BB Bracket
- SWC Boys BB Bracket
- Swedes grapple to fourth place finish at UNK duals
- Gothenburg triumphs over rival Haymakers
- Capitol Update from Sen. Matt Williams
- McMeen steps down as CEO of McMeen Physical Therapy, P.C.
- Brady dominates Stapleton on home court
- Swedes defeat Sidney for championship