Eagle boys advance with 60-53 win
Brady senior Zach Mann scored a career high 34 points, including 23 in the first half, to lead the Eagles past South Loup in the opening round of the Maxwell Booster Tournament on Thursday.
The Bobcats kept the game close, tying at 10-10 midway through the first period and never letting the gap get too wide.
Brady had a nine point halftime advantage at 31-22 but the Bobcats stepped up their defense, especially on Mann, and outscored the Eagles 18-15 in the third period.
The victory came at the free throw line as the Eagles managed only one field goal in the final period.
Brady was 14-of-16 overall from the line.
With Mann scoring more than half of the Eagles’ points, only five others needed to pitch in. Sophomore Troy Lusk had eight points to help the cause and senior Michael Nieman pitched in six.
Brady improved to 5-1 with the win and advanced to play Stapleton-McPherson County in the finals Friday night, too late for an early holiday press time for The Times. Look for results in next week’s issue.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates