Texas woman killed after crash on I-80
She was airlifted to Good Samaritan
A 67-year-old woman from Irving, TX, died following a crash near the Gothenburg I-80 interchange Thursday night.
Nebraska State Patrol officials said Carol Ann Leonetti was eastbound in a van in the passing lane about 8 p.m. when the vehicle stopped and was struck from behind by a semi-tractor trailer that was in the same lane.
The semi, driven by 60-year-old Kevin Claussen of Spencer, then traveled into the median, and crossed the westbound lane before stopping in the north ditch, officials in the North Platte office said.
Officials said Leonetti was not wearing a seat belt and was transported to Gothenburg Memorial Hospital by the Gothenburg rescue squad. She was then life-flighted to Good Samaritan Hospital in Kearney.
Gothenburg rescue captain Jason Wagner said Leonetti died at Good Samaritan.
State patrol officials didn’t know if Claussen, who was wearing a seat belt, was injured and treated although GMH officials said he wasn’t a patient there.
Wagner said the accident occurred just past the eastbound off-ramp into Gothenburg.
The Gothenburg Police Department gave assistance following the accident.
- Eastside offers cremation services
- Pinpoint outage affects landline customers
- Junior golf ends with championship tourney
- Swimmers end season with new league record at Plains tSunami championships
- Property owners urged to comply with nuisance rules
- Commissioners approve new fiber optics provider
- Black Hills Corp. to buy out SourceGas company
- AREA NEWS DIGEST