Legislative issues discussed Saturday
State Sen. John Wightman covered a wide variety of issues being considered by the Nebraska Legislature Saturday during the annual legislative update sponsored by the Gothenburg Chamber of Commerce.
Wightman reviewed proposed legislation including the governor’s plan to eliminate state income tax. The improved farming economy in Nebraska was also a topic and how that impacts the state aid to education formula and property taxes in rural areas.
He also discussed the legislative process, the effect of lobbying on senators and the impact of Sen. Ernie Chambers on the Unicameral since his return to office after a four-year absence caused by term limits.
The program was the second of three sponsored in Dawson County by the Gothenburg, Lexington and Cozad chambers. The next session will be Saturday, April 13 in Cozad.
- SERVICE IN JEOPARDY
- Winning team repeats in scramble
- Study shares ways to grow housing
- Peddlers in the park
- Lifeguards host annual swim carnival
- Trinity Lutheran construction to begin Construction.
- Commissioners discuss late bill privately, approve lake trail addition
- Brady school student numbers grow slightly