Legislative issues discussed Saturday
State Sen. John Wightman covered a wide variety of issues being considered by the Nebraska Legislature Saturday during the annual legislative update sponsored by the Gothenburg Chamber of Commerce.
Wightman reviewed proposed legislation including the governor’s plan to eliminate state income tax. The improved farming economy in Nebraska was also a topic and how that impacts the state aid to education formula and property taxes in rural areas.
He also discussed the legislative process, the effect of lobbying on senators and the impact of Sen. Ernie Chambers on the Unicameral since his return to office after a four-year absence caused by term limits.
The program was the second of three sponsored in Dawson County by the Gothenburg, Lexington and Cozad chambers. The next session will be Saturday, April 13 in Cozad.
- Eastside offers cremation services
- Pinpoint outage affects landline customers
- Junior golf ends with championship tourney
- Swimmers end season with new league record at Plains tSunami championships
- Property owners urged to comply with nuisance rules
- Commissioners approve new fiber optics provider
- Black Hills Corp. to buy out SourceGas company
- AREA NEWS DIGEST