Dutch Zorn Invite attracts seven teams
Track enthusiasts will see some excellent competition Friday at Gothenburg’s annual Dutch Zorn Invitational track meet. Seven schools—Kearney Catholic, Lexington, McCook, Sidney, Ogallala, Kearney JV and Gothenburg—are entered this year.
Field events will open the meet at 2 p.m. Running events are scheduled to start at 3 p.m. The “Dutch Zorn Mile Medley Relay” will kick off the finals in the late afternoon at approximately 5 p.m. The medley features legs of 200, 200, 400 and 800 meters.
Special awards in memory of Danny Nichols and Jim Ambler will be awarded prior to the final event of the day.
Lexington is the reigning girls champion while McCook is a two-time defending boys champion.
The meet is named for former Swede coach Dutch Zorn, who guided Gothenburg to state track championships in 1949, 1957, 1962, 1967 and 1971. Zorn’s distinguished coaching career in track and football landed him in the first class of inductees in the Nebraska High School Sports Hall of Fame in 1994.
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC