Sweet smell of barbecue to fill air this weekend
Forty-eight teams, with two on a waiting list, will fire up grills in Lafayette Park Friday and Saturday.The first-ever Pony Express BBQ Challenge will bring in teams from Nebraska and other states for a new Gothenburg Chamber of Commerce event.
Professional and amateur barbecuers will vie for $7,500 in prize money.
Friday’s festivities begin with a chili cook-off (see schedule on page A12). Vendors and a jump house will also be available.
Judging and other events, including a pancake feed, city-wide garage sales, vendors, a jump house for kids, horseshoe pitching, a kids farm chore relay and awards, are set for Saturday.
Chamber administrative assistant June Blauvelt said Pony Express Riders have added horseback rides and photographs to the list of events.
“It’s going to be a lot of fun and it’s another big event like Harvest Festival,” Blauvelt said. “It gives people the opportunity to get out of the house and bring in spring.”
For more information, contact the Chamber at 537-3505.
- Lake Helen coming to life
- Dist. 20 state aid chopped
- Dawson County 4-H students return from trip East
- Rodeo, fun walk part of July 4 events
- Pony Express Re-ride gallops past Gothenburg
- Jack Ostergard part of Nebraska Sandhills Cowboy Hall of Fame
- Commissioners receive four bids for new culverts
- City council forced to go with gut over escaped dog