Sweet smell of barbecue to fill air this weekend
Forty-eight teams, with two on a waiting list, will fire up grills in Lafayette Park Friday and Saturday.The first-ever Pony Express BBQ Challenge will bring in teams from Nebraska and other states for a new Gothenburg Chamber of Commerce event.
Professional and amateur barbecuers will vie for $7,500 in prize money.
Friday’s festivities begin with a chili cook-off (see schedule on page A12). Vendors and a jump house will also be available.
Judging and other events, including a pancake feed, city-wide garage sales, vendors, a jump house for kids, horseshoe pitching, a kids farm chore relay and awards, are set for Saturday.
Chamber administrative assistant June Blauvelt said Pony Express Riders have added horseback rides and photographs to the list of events.
“It’s going to be a lot of fun and it’s another big event like Harvest Festival,” Blauvelt said. “It gives people the opportunity to get out of the house and bring in spring.”
For more information, contact the Chamber at 537-3505.
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates
- Playground equipment tops Lake Helen priority
- School administrators reorganize with one less
- Turning to the next page
- The Crossing gets special use permit
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Hotline brings sellers and buyers together