Tea geared to learn how to talk about sex to child
Dawson Co. 4th highest for teen pregnancy
The statistics for teens are alarming when it comes to sexual health.
In fact, Dawson County is the fourth highest county in Nebraska for teen pregnancy rates with 65 out of 1,000 teen girls giving birth before the age of 20, according to Central Health Center officials.
Central Health Center will host a mother/daughter tea and lunch Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gothenburg Senior Center for girls grades 9 through 12, and their mothers, to discuss the issue and ways parents can impact the choices their children make.
Some of the topics covered will include healthy and unhealthy relationships, how to talk to children about sex, sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy and preventative options, media influences and decision making.
Research shows that teen birth rates are higher in rural areas than any other area in the United States, even higher than urban areas.
Statistics reveal that one in two teens will have at least one sexually transmitted disease before the age of 25, officials said, noting that teen pregnancy has declined but it’s still higher in the United States than in any other industrialized nation.
Those planning to attend the event are asked to RSVP to Stephanie Jones by Friday.
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC