Swedes take second at Kearney Catholic Invite
A good set-up on the tee box is important to shoot well in golf.
The Swedes did that in the Kearney Catholic Invite last Thursday finishing in second place, shooting a score of 422. Grand Island Central Catholic was the team champion with a 395.“The girls hit good shots off the tee which gave them many opportunities to shoot good scores,” head coach Tara Foster said.
McKinley Harm paced Gothenburg with a 97, leading them to a second place finish.
Foster said that she was proud of the way the girls played.
“I am very pleased with how the girls played at the first invitational of the season,” Foster said. “They finished runner-up as a team for the second year in a row, and had three girls place individually.”
Harm finished fifth, with Taylour Marshall and Mallary McCoy finishing 11th and 12th individually, both shooting 107.
Golf can be a trying game, physically and mentally. When the Swedes faced tough shots, or bad holes they remained positive, Foster said.
She said all the girls struggled with reading the greens and finding the right pace.
“That is something that can be improved with practice, and that is something we plan on doing this week,” Foster said.
Gothenburg will play in the North Platte Invite Friday at 9 a.m.
“There will be some tougher competition,” Foster said. “Short game will be the focus heading into Friday.”
1. Grand Island Central Catholic 395; 2. Gothenburg 422; 3.Kearney Catholic 446; 4. Doniphan-Trumbull 452; 5. Arcadia/Loup City 475; 6. Cozad 494.
TOP 15 GOLFERS
1. Brandi Lemek, Don-Trum 84
2. Neha Sood, GICC 88
3. Nikki Thienel, Wood River 96
4. Sarah Vaughn, GICC 96
5. McKinley Harm, Gothenburg 97
6. Olivia Rash, Don-Trum 99
7. Kayla Shundoff, K. Catholic 102
8. Calli Staab, K. Catholic 103
9. Rebecca Riley, GICC 105
10. Amanda Fay, GICC 106
11. Taylour Marshall, Gothenburg 107
12. Mallory McCoy, Gothenburg 107
13. Ashlyn Roth, Centura 108
14. Ellie Johnson, Gibbon 109
15. Hannah Jacobowski, Arc-Loup 109
McKinley Harm 47-50-—97
Taylour Marshall 55-52—107
Mallory McCoy 54-53—107
Courtney Brown 60-51—111
Kelsey Kuhlman 60-61—121
Alex Boson 73-69—142
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair