Swedes run well at Gothenburg Invitational
Next up…tough conference meet
The weather was perfect for a cross country meet, head coach Steve Reeves said.
That comment proved true as Gothenburg’s times at the Gothenburg Invitational on Thursday were the fastest of the season.
“The weather in the 50s is great for running,” Reeves said. “The course had short, fast fairways that made a big difference.”
Gothenburg placed fourth as a team with 59 points as the top four runners all completed the race in under 22 minutes.
The girls team was led by Jennifer Maline who medaled in 14th place with a time of 21:03.
Reeves was pleased with the way the girls ran even without a full team.
Lexington finished in first place with 37 points overall.
McCook’s Molly Sugrough finished first in 18:29.
Lexington won the boys meet with 15 points.
Leading the Minutemen was Horacio Gaeta who ran one second ahead of teammate John Mark Shields in 16:21.
The Swede boys were led by Collin Hahn who made the top ten with a time of 17:12.
He paced the team that qualified sixth overall with 109 points.
The Swedes prepared this week for the Southwest Conference meet in Cozad Thursday at 4 p.m.
“This is the biggest race of the season so far, and with it being at Cozad, they are the favored team,” Reeves said.
He added that Gothenburg will be the Haymakers’ main competition in the girls race.
On the boys side, Hahn needs to run a tough race to get into the top five, Reeves said, adding that the other runners need to finish as close as possible to him.
GIRLS TEAM SCORING
1. Lexington 37, 2. Holdrege 54, 3. Cozad 56, 4. Gothenburg 59, 5. McCook 68, 6. Dundy County-Stratton 97, 7. N.P. St. Pats 111, 8. Eustis-Farnam 113, 9. Sutherland 142, 10. North Platte 147.
SWEDE VARSITY GIRLS
14. Jennifer Maline 21:03
Jaci Teahon 21:28
Amanda Kowalewski 21:41
Destiny McVay 21:56
Keely Lecher 22:17
Abbie Mazour 22:50
Andie Geiken 22:57
Betsy Potter 24:10
Holly Hudson 26:35
SWEDE JUNIOR HIGH
GIRLS RESULTS (1.7 miles)
1. Kayla Weyers 10:28
4. Kaitlyn Kleinknecht 11:07
13. Natalie Kennicutt 11:54
15. Allison Nichols 11:55
Kori Kowalewski 12:07
Maggie LaFuze 12:38
Alexis Boyd 12:38
Cheyenne McVay 13:32
Hannah Boyd 14:36
BOYS TEAM SCORING
1. Lexington 15, 2. Cozad 44, 3. McCook 71, 4. Dundy County-Stratton 96, 5. Minden 100, 6. Gothenburg 109, 7. Holdrege 149, 8. N.P. St. Pats 152, 9. Paxton 159, 10. North Platte 186, 11. Eustis-Farnam 192, 12. Kimball 201, 13. Sutherland 238, 14. Broken Bow 243.
SWEDE VARSITY BOYS
8. Collin Hahn 17:12
Bryce Kowalewski 18:24
Seth Eggleston 18:34
Bryan Martinez 19:15
Mathiel Matinez 20:23
Jacob Franzen 20:32
Tate Bartlett 21:10
Sam LaFuze 22:44
SWEDE JUNIOR HIGH
BOYS RESULTS (1.7 miles)
4. Blake Riley 10:14
6. Collin Brown 10:21
10. Ryan Healey 11:03
11. Tucker Bartlett 11:06
Brett Mazour 11:54
Austin Macek 13:40
Blake Sucha 14:04
- Lake Helen coming to life
- Dist. 20 state aid chopped
- Dawson County 4-H students return from trip East
- Rodeo, fun walk part of July 4 events
- Pony Express Re-ride gallops past Gothenburg
- Jack Ostergard part of Nebraska Sandhills Cowboy Hall of Fame
- Commissioners receive four bids for new culverts
- City council forced to go with gut over escaped dog