Golfers qualify for state in Columbus
The Gothenburg golf team finished third Oct. 8 at the District C-4 golf tournament at Indianhead Golf Course in Grand Island.
“I am extremely proud of the girls and what they accomplished at districts,” head coach Tara Foster said. “I look forward to coaching them at state.”
The Swedes shot a 428 led by Harm’s 101, good enough for a medal.
Taylour Marshall, Mallory McCoy, Courtney Brown and Kelsey Kuhlman joined McKinley Harm in qualifying for state in Columbus at Quail Run Golf Course Monday and Tuesday.
Minden shot a team best 402 followed by Grand Island Central Catholic’s 420. Brandi Lemek from Doniphan-Trumbull shot an 88 to lead all individual scorers.
Foster said the week leading up to districts, the girls worked on approach shots and their short game from the fringe.
She added that Indianhead played long for most of the girls on Gothenburg’s team, so that approach shot would need to be consistent.
“The girls had to get off the tee box and have a solid second shot to score well,” Foster said.
She added that Harm kept herself composed in tough lies which contributed to her solid round.
“Her mental toughness showed on a number of shots,” Foster said of Harm.
1. Minden 402, 2. Grand Island Central Catholic 420, 3. Gothenburg 428, 4. Doniphan-Trumbull 445, 5. Heartland 505, 6. Exeter-Milligan 547.
TOP 10 GOLFERS
1. Brandi Lemek, Don.-Trum. 88
2. Neha Sood, GICC 91
3. Paige Kristensen, Minden 93
4. Ashton Boldt, Minden 96
5. Nicole Thienel, Wood River 96
6. Sarah Vaughn, GICC 97
7. Haley Teter, Southwest 98
8. Jessica Rehtus, Minden 99
9. Amanda Fay, GICC 101
10. McKinley Harm, Gothenburg 101
McKinley Harm 101
Mallory McCoy 102
Taylour Marshall 105
Courtney Brown 120
Kelsey Kuhlman 131
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout