Long will kick at NCAA level
Trenton Long is taking his kicking talents to Golden, CO, to play football for the Colorado School of Mines.
Long signed a letter of intent to play for the NCAA Division II program Monday afternoon and will redshirt next fall.“The kicker they have now is going to be a junior next season,” Long said. “When he is a senior, I’ll be a redshirt freshman and that’s when I look to compete.”
Before signing, he said he took campus visits to both the Colorado School of Mines and the South Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City, SD.
Long and his parents, Jim and Lori Long, said they could tell when he went to the campus in Colorado it was a no brainer.
“You could tell he felt at home there,” Jim said.
Trenton added his interest in engineering and the academic quality offered in Golden sealed the deal.
Although its the end of his recruiting process, Long knows its only the beginning in another chapter of his football life.
“The end of one process is the beginning of another,” Long said. “I made my decision now I have to get better to play in college.”
With Golden just a few hours down the interstate, his parents expressed appreciation for him playing in a neighboring state.
“We will be able to see his games when he’s playing,” Lori said. “It would’ve been tough to make games with him playing on the East or West Coast.”
Trenton earned an academic scholarship and will pursue an engineering degree.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates