Ruth Brown, 91 - April 08, 2009
Ruth Elizabeth Whitney Brown, 91, of Gothenburg, formerly of Arnold, died Saturday, March 28, 2009, at Gothenburg Memorial Hospital Long Term Care Unit.
Services were held April 1 at Blase-Strauser Memorial Chapel with the Rev. Irving Jennings officiating. Interment took place at the Arnold Cemetery.
Brown was born the second child of Oliver Whitney and Myrtle (Wardrobe) Whitney on April 25, 1917, at Loyal community near Arnold.
She was baptized and joined the Baptist Church during her youth.
Her young life was spent in school and developing her skills of sewing, cooking and art. Circumstances demanded that at a very young age she be her own support, and she hired out to do housework.
She was united in marriage to Harvey E. Brown in Reno, NV, on Oct. 19, 1940. The young couple worked several months in the kitchen at a county hospital near Redding, CA. In February of 1941, they returned Nebraska to the Brown farms in Lincoln and Logan counties.
Brown had assisted her husband for 10 years with the Farm Bureau organization and always helped with refreshments.
She spent the rest of her life homemaking. Her cooking talents were enjoyed by all, and her excellent sewing talent was used in making clothing for herself and her daughters, according to family members.
?Brown had greatly enjoyed her grandchildren as well as several young children of the family who came to visit during the summers, said family members.
She was preceded in death by: her parents, Oliver and Myrtle; a grandson, Arin Duryea.
Survivors include: her husband of 68 years, Harvey Brown; daughters—Valarie (Robert) Jackson of Maxwell, and Cheri (John) Koinzan of Broken Bow; granddaughter, Leah (Ivan) Miller of Maxwell; great-grandchildren—Jessi Miller and Brian Miller; a special friend, Lester McMurray of Broken Bow.
Memorials are suggested to the First Baptist Church of Arnold.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.blase strauser.com. Arrangements have been placed in the care of Blase-Strauser Memorial Chapel of Gothenburg.