Katherine Mellman, 91 - February 02, 2014Katherine Margaret Mellman, 91, of Elm Creek passed away Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014, at Hilltop Estates in Gothenburg.
Cremation was chosen. There are no services at this time.
Mellman was born Jan. 22, 1923, at Hastings, daughter of John and Edna (Siekmann) Shueey.
She graduated from Juniata High School in 1940. In 1944, she graduated from Hastings College with a teaching degree.
Mellman taught at Grand Island for four years and in Denver for two years.
On June 25, 1950, she married Quentin L. Mellman at Juniata with the Rev. Paul DeFreese of St. Paul’s Church officiating the ceremony.
She then taught at Gothenburg Public Schools from 1950 until 1986 when she retired. She taught second grade for many years and taught kindergarten her last 10 years.
Mellman was a lifetime member of the Lutheran Church and was baptized by her great-grandfather, the Rev. Henry Siekmann, at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Hastings.
She was preceded in death by: her husband, Quentin Lyle Mellman; her parents, John and Edna; a son, Larry Mellman; a brother, John Shueey.
Among survivors is her son, Joel Mellman of Elm Creek.
Memorials are suggested to the Nebraska Children’s Home.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics