Swede golfers struggle at NP
Cold, wind don’t help scores.
NORTH PLATTE—Without a doubt, Gothenburg’s golfers want to leave every memory of their first meet of the season behind.
The Swedes did not get off to a good start Friday at the North Platte Invite on Iron Eagle Golf Course.
“Our qualifying scores were quite good so it was unexpected that we would have so much difficulty,” Swede coach Jim Henke said. “We thought our pre-meet preparation was OK but things just didn’t really work out for anyone.”
Gothenburg finished last in the team standings, 12th with a combined score of 431.
Grand Island took the team title scoring 319 followed by Scottsbluff at 327.
“Two of our players had never participated in any 18-hole tournament, let alone one where there were many class A competitors,” Henke said. “It is understandable that those guys may have been a little more than intimidated but our players who were experienced had more trouble than usual as well.”
Sophomore Jackson Graham recorded the lowest score for the Swedes at 95. He was 13 strokes from the 10th place medal.
Junior Matt Marshall shot 102 followed by senior Derek Franzen at 112.
“Our own post-meet analysis was very depressing as we couldn’t take away many positive thoughts,” Henke said. “I guess we will say it was lack of proper preparation and the day was one of those anomalies that happen in the game of golf.
The Swedes will try to put their unsatisfactory start of the year behind them as they travel to Lexington on Thursday for a dual.
That meet is set to start at 4 p.m. at Lakeside Golf Course.
“I am confident they will recover and play well in the future,” Henke said.
1. Grand Island 319; 2. Scottsbluff 327; 3. North Platte 330; 4. McCook 344; 5. Hastings 345; 6. Grand Island Central Catholic 368; 7. Lexington 374; 8. Gering 376; 9. Broken Bow 377; 10. Ogallala 388; 11. North Platte JV 421; 12. Gothenburg 431.
For complete individual results see our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Eastside offers cremation services
- Pinpoint outage affects landline customers
- Junior golf ends with championship tourney
- Swimmers end season with new league record at Plains tSunami championships
- Property owners urged to comply with nuisance rules
- Commissioners approve new fiber optics provider
- Black Hills Corp. to buy out SourceGas company
- AREA NEWS DIGEST