Taking poetry on the road
POETRY SLAM: Roxanne Whiting’s English class performed round two of a poetry slam recently at Deb’s Bakery, Diner & Donuts where students act out poetry they write or select from other authors. Whiting said 65 students were in round one. That was whittled to the 20 who performed at the donut shop. Five will advance to finals at Stone Hearth Estates where Josh Clark was declared the winner by judges who decide who advances and who wins. Last year’s slam winner was Lauren Schmiett who returned this year as slam master.
Pictured (right) are judges (clockwise from foreground) Schmiett, AJ Whiting, resource teacher Carol Keiser, Becki Wardyn and Nikki Brand. Left, Mackenzie Brand performs. This was the third year of the contest that Whiting said is a competitive art of performance poetry that takes place in coffeehouses and bars across the nation.
- Avenue I to get more sidewalk
- Wellness Center decision after budget workshop
- Airport Authority wants board member removed
- Eagle football looks to repeat last year’s success
- Rural Poll finds insights on rural Nebraskans’ activism
- Soybean farmers observe, evaluate work of checkoff
- District 20 enrollment creeps up
- Coaches remain confident after 15-4 loss to McCook