City gears up for Fourth of July
Old favorites will return Fourth of July weekend plus a re-dedication of a Blue Star Memorial Highway sign.
The new sign will be dedicated at 2 p.m. Sunday, July 4, at Lake Helen and is sponsored by the Gothenburg Gardennaires.
Weekend festivities begin with the first night of the annual Pony Express Rodeo—Saturday, July 3—at the roping grounds north of Lafayette Park.
The Gothenburg Roping Club sponsors the event.
Mutton busting begins at 6 p.m. followed by the rodeo at 7 p.m. on both Saturday, July 3, and Sunday, July 4.
The cost for the rodeo is $7 for adults and $5 for children aged 6-12. Kids under 6 are free.
Besides the Blue Star Memorial sign dedication, other activities on Saturday include the annual Boy Scout barbecue from 4-7 p.m. at the Senior Center.
The cost is $6 for adults and $4 for children. Scouts are selling tickets before the event but tickets are also available at the door.
An annual fireworks display over Lake Helen begins at dusk.
The fireworks are sponsored by the Gothenburg Rotary Club, the City of Gothenburg and the Gothenburg Volunteer Fire Department along with donations from area businesses and individuals.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates