Two golfers medal at Broken Bow Invite
Boson gets 10th, Thompson 13th.
BROKEN BOW—Two Gothenburg golfers earned medals at the Broken Bow Invite on Thursday leading the Swedes on a consistent trek toward improved scoring.
Anna Boson and Sidney Thompson finished 10th and 13th respectively as the Gothenburg team dropped its overall score to 452 for sixth in the team standings.
It was the best team effort so far this season for Gothenburg, said coach Jim Henke.
Kearney Catholic won the team title with a combined 379 and four medalists, including winner Allie VenJohn with a score of 78.
Boson, a junior, shot an 18-hole personal best of 104 with 50 on the second nine to get her first medal this season.
Thompson carded 54 on the first nine and 51 on the second for 105 total.
Henke said freshman Heidi Teahon shot 120 in her second varsity meet, improving her 18-hole score by 15 strokes.
Jourdan Matthies had a rough first nine, Henke said, but battled back with a nine-stroke improvement on the second nine while Brittany Ostergard set a new personal best score of 135.
Becca Else hit the ball down the middle of the fairway, Henke said, but had a little trouble around the greens. She finished with 153.
1. Kearney Catholic 379; 2. St. Paul 417; 3. Ogallala 427; 4. Valentine 435; 5. Loup City 437; 6. Gothenburg 452; 7. Broken Bow 522; 8. Mullen 525; 9. Ainsworth 537; 10. Centura 601; Burwell, no team score.
TOP 15 GOLFERS
1. Allie VenJohn, KC 78
2. Shelby Stone, St. Paul 82
3. McKenzie Marshall, KC 96
4. Kayla Kintz, Ogallala 99
5. Rachelle Hamik, KC 101
6. Michelle Renning, Valentine 102
7. Courtney Baum, Mullen 103
8. Brittany Vohland, BBow 104
9. Molly Drozd, KC 104
10. Anna Boson, Gothenburg 104
11. Erika Goc, Loup City 104
12. Jacy French, Ogallala 105
13. Sidney Thompson, Gothenburg 105
14. Alex Bauer, Valentine 106
15. Emily Abbott, Ogallala 108
Anna Boson 54-50—104
Sidney Thompson 54-51—105
Heidi Teahon 63-57—120
Jourdan Matthies 66-57—123
Brittany Ostergard 68-67—135
Becca Else 76-77—153
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates