McCook rally buries Swede softball squad
A huge sixth inning powered McCook to a 9-2 win over Gothenburg in softball action Thursday.
“We played good softball for five and a half innings,” Swede coach Roger Neujahr said. “I’m not sure what happened after that.
“We played good softball against a good team and then just fell apart in the last half inning.”
Gothenburg owned a lead for one inning after scoring a solo run in the first. Roni Putnam walked, advanced on a sacrifice and came home on Karen Franzen’s single to right field.
That was it for the Swedes until they plated another single run in the fifth frame. Payton Prall led off with a single before coming home on a two-out single by KaTrina Winter.
McCook, now 9-2 on the year, scored two runs in the second inning and gained a 3-1 lead after three. The Swedes were within striking distance going into the bottom of the sixth. The Bison cut loose for five hits, including a bases-loaded double, and five runs.
Gothenburg needed a big rally in the seventh but gained just a single hit.
Amanda Barkmeier went the distance on the mound for the Swedes. Franzen paced the hitting attack with two singles.
Find complete individual stats in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics