Boys win CC team title at Geneva
Coaches rate Gothenburg boys at the top of Class C.
GENEVA—It’s 165 miles from Gothenburg to Geneva. That’s a long ride for cross country runners.
The Fillmore Central Invite on Thursday was well worth the trip for the Swedes, though, as the boys came home with five medals and a team title.
“Kids can get tired of competing against the same faces week after week,” said Gothenburg cross country coach Steve Reeves. “At this meet, we get to see a lot of different teams that we don’t compete against throughout the year.”
Earning five medals is an outstanding accomplishment for any team, Reeves said, and at this point in the season that hardware serves as a confidence booster.
Senior Andrew Collins got his first individual win of the year with teammate Luke Rehmert in second place.
Both ran outstanding times, Reeves said.
“Its an extremely fast course,” the coach said. “There are a lot of slight ups and slight downs, a lot like our course here. Several of the kids ran their best times this year.”
Brett Dockweiler finished fifth while Bryce Eggleston and Joshua Clark came in 12th and 14th respectively.
The Swedes scored 20 points with Hastings St. Cecilia close behind at 33.
In the girls race, the Swedes ended up in seventh place without a medalist. Lincoln Lutheran took the team title with a close win over Lincoln Christian.
“The girls posted good times too,” Reeves said. “Morgan (Kowalewski) and Lauren (Schmiett) are both running solid and improving each week.”
Senior Tabitha Paul struggled, Reeves said, with an injury that may keep her sidelined a couple of weeks.
Gothenburg will compete in the Minden Invite on Saturday and go to Kearney for the University of Nebraska at Kearney Invite on Monday.
Reeves said it’s a tough schedule but when the kids are running seven or eight miles a day in practice, meets don’t seem so bad.
The UNK meet will serve multiple purposes. In addition to being on the state meet course, the UNK Invite also brings together stiff competition.
The Nebraska Cross Country Coaches Association rankings have Gothenburg’s boys at No. 1 in Class C with Wayne at No. 2, Ogallala holding down No. 4 and Broken Bow at No. 5. All four will run in Kearney.
“The competition keeps you sharp,” he said.
Saturday’s meet in Minden is set to begin at 10 a.m. with Monday’s races in Kearney scheduled for 3 p.m.
BOYS TEAM SCORING
1. Gothenburg 20; 2. Hasting St. Cecilia 33; 3. Milford 64; 4. Tri County 73; 5. Lincoln Lutheran 83; 6. Malcolm 112; 7. Lincoln Christian 149; 8. McCool Junction 155; 9. Fairbury 165; 10. Fillmore Central 182; 11. South Central Unified 183; 12. Superior 210; 13. Thayer Central 227; 14. Wilber Clatonia 256; 15. Centennial 270; 16. Deshler 292; Blue Hill, College View and Johnson County Central, no team scores.
SWEDE VARSITY BOYS
1. Andrew Collins 16:14.18
2. Luke Rehmert 16:24.53
5. Brett Dockweiler 16:28.75
12. Bryce Eggleston 17:16.69
14. Joshua Clark 17:17.63
Chris Block 18:17.93
SWEDE JUNIOR VARSITY BOYS
4. Eric Stevens 18:02.52
5. Marcos Avalos 18:28.50
7. Brandon Wlasiuk 18:33.24
10. Brennan Costello 18:37.95
11. Alex Spencer 18:39.25
Justin Larson 20:05.50
Ray Ramirez 20:14.33
Jon Rehmert 20:15.48
Ryan Ostendorf 20:41.88
Josh Portiner 22:40.85
Alix Meisinger 23:09.47
Bryan Benash 25:16.61
Coltin Bebensee 30:58.03
GIRLS TEAM SCORING
1. Lincoln Lutheran 44; 2. Lincoln Christian 47; 3. Milford 67; Hastings St. Cecilia 84; 5. Tri County 98; 6. Wilber Clatonia 117; 7. Gothenburg 119; 8. Fillmore Central 124; 9. McCool Junction 150; 10. Deshler 156; 11. Malcolm 157; 12. Johnson County Central 185; Blue hill, Centennial, Fairbury, South central Unified and Superior, no team scores
SWEDE VARSITY GIRLS
Morgan Kowalewski 17:40.65
Lauren Schmiett 17:44.54
Tabitha Paul 18:28.58
Emily Hult 18:45.19
Ashlee Bruntz 20:06.39
SWEDE JUNIOR HIGH RESULTS (1 MILE)
Seth Eggleston 6:29.4
Abbie Mazour 6:45.4
Jordan Lauer 6:52.4
Amanda Kowalewski 7:01.7
Bailey Meyer 7:32.7
Betsy Potter 7:39.9
Sean Canas 8:52.4
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics