Scooping to skate
WINTRY RECREATION: One youngster scoops snow from Lake Helen to create a skating rink while his friend takes advantage of the cleared ice last Friday. Temperatures so far in January have been conducive to skating and should remain so until Friday when they are expected to climb into the lower 40s.
People have skated on Lake Helen since it was created in 1890 and, in 1895, G.P. & I. Company placed an arc light at the south end of the lake that skaters thought was a great benefit to their night skating parties, according to the Gothenburg Area History book.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics