Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Text Size

Livestock producers may be eligible for disaster aid

Livestock producers in Nebraska who lose animals or feed supplies due to extreme weather conditions or flooding may be eligible for assistance through Farm Service Agency, according to FSA state executive director Dan Steinkruger.

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) makes payments to eligible producers for losses that are above normal mortality rates.  The Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) may provide assistance for losses of honeybees, farm-raised fish, purchased and/or harvested feed stuffs, and with the additional costs of providing or transporting of purchased feed stuffs.

“This winter has brought a lot of snow and cold temperatures to the majority of the state, and we know there are going to be losses to the state’s livestock industry because of that,” Steinkruger said.  “We want to make sure livestock producers are aware of the program before they need it to make the application process easier.”

Producers that suffer losses of livestock or feed supplies due to extreme weather conditions or flooding must notify their local FSA office within 30 days of the loss.  Notification can be made in person, by phone, fax, email, or through a letter to the office.  After the initial notification, the producer must file an application for payment at the FSA office no later than 30 days after the end of the calendar year in which the loss occurred.

The LIP application must include documentation that provides evidence of livestock inventory, the livestock loss, current physical location of the remaining livestock in inventory, and the location of the livestock at the time of loss.  Acceptable documentation of loss may include purchase records, veterinarian records, bank or other loan documents, and rendering truck receipts, among others.

The ELAP application must document the feed loss and/or additional cost of purchasing feed above normal feed costs for the eligible livestock due to a qualifying adverse weather event.  The losses of honey bees, farm-raised fish or purchased feed stuffs must be directly related to the adverse weather event or colony collapse disorder.

Additional details about the LIP and ELAP programs may be found online or by contacting a local FSA office.

Weather Forecast

Click for Gothenburg, Nebraska Forecast

e-Subscription Login