Eagle speech team places sixth in Class D-1
Three earn medals at state meet.
KEARNEY—Three Brady speech team members were judged among the best in Class D-1 during the state speech meet on the University of Nebraska at Kearney campus Friday.
Ethan Callahan finished fourth in extemporaneous speaking, Sierra Quadhamer was fourth in poetry and Jessica Schrad placed fifth in serious prose to lead the Eagle team of seven qualifiers to a sixth-place team finish in the class with 40 sweepstakes points.
“I’m just a very proud speech coach right now,” Brady coach Dawn Jobman said. “The pressure on these kids at the district meet was phenomenal but it was even more intensified at state. They were among the best of the best and sixth in the state is a pretty high honor.”
Humphrey St. Francis took the team title with 146 points from 14 state participants.
Find the complete story and individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Four Swedes finish season at state meet
- Swedes advance to post-season play
- Eagles remain atop District 9 standings
- Ag Land management workshop in Lexington
- Lake, park proposed project revealed
- Vandalism under investigation
- Beauty can shine through at any age
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet