Swede boys win SWC title ... again.
The foundation for the winning tradition in Gothenburg track and field was laid decades ago and it’s something today’s coaches hope to build on from one season to the next.
This year’s Swede boys have left a unique mark on the well-recognized program earning four straight Southwest Conference titles with a blowout win on Saturday.
“It’s a tribute to these kids,” said coach Steve Reeves. “Four consecutive conference championships has never been done before.”
The Swedes scored in each of the 17 events, many of them with multiple medalists to finish with 188 team points, well ahead of Cozad’s 117.
“That’s a lot of points,” Reeves said.
Gothenburg got off to a strong start in the field events, scoring 48 points in the long jump and triple jump alone taking the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 spots in both events.
“We had big points in other field events as well,” Reeves said, noting that two Swedes placed in each of the remaining four field events.
Before they ever hit the track,
Find the complete story and individual in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Gothenburg 8th graders blast McCook
- Gothenburg plays a feisty brand of basketball at North Platte Jamboree
- Brady volleyball players named to MNAC All-Conference team
- Nebraska Cattlemen host 2016 annual convention
- Chamber hosts Magic on Main Street next week
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Gothenburg youth prepare to serve our country
- Local sisters share more than genetics