Swede boys win SWC title ... again.
The foundation for the winning tradition in Gothenburg track and field was laid decades ago and it’s something today’s coaches hope to build on from one season to the next.
This year’s Swede boys have left a unique mark on the well-recognized program earning four straight Southwest Conference titles with a blowout win on Saturday.
“It’s a tribute to these kids,” said coach Steve Reeves. “Four consecutive conference championships has never been done before.”
The Swedes scored in each of the 17 events, many of them with multiple medalists to finish with 188 team points, well ahead of Cozad’s 117.
“That’s a lot of points,” Reeves said.
Gothenburg got off to a strong start in the field events, scoring 48 points in the long jump and triple jump alone taking the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 spots in both events.
“We had big points in other field events as well,” Reeves said, noting that two Swedes placed in each of the remaining four field events.
Before they ever hit the track,
Find the complete story and individual in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout