Gothenburg Legion baseball season opens on the road
American Legion Baseball fans will see a few changes in the Gothenburg teams this season as the Melons open the year with Junior and Senior games at Kearney on May 26.
Jory Flesch, who has served for several years as a coach in all levels of American Legion baseball, has stepped down from the program.
There will still be a few familiar faces leading the teams.
Melon manager Brian Bullock said he and Matt Ostergard will continue to coach the Junior Melons while longtime coach Mark Bartels and Ostergard will lead the Seniors.
Former Melon player Andy Jobman will also help out with coaching duties, Bullock said.
The Junior and Senior teams will compete again in the west division of the Mid-Nebraska Baseball League.
The league championship scheduled for July 7 with a Senior all-star game is slated for July 13 at Kearney.
Opponents in the league include Broken Bow, Cozad, Holdrege, McCook and Ogallala.
There are 10 matchups on the home schedule including a Juniors-only double-header on June 5.
Gothenburg will also host the Area 6 Seniors tournament beginning Thursday, July 21.
The Juniors Area 6 tournament is in McCook starting July 14.
Should the Melons advance from the Area 6 tournaments to state, the Juniors will play in Beatrice July 23 while the Senior state tourney starts at Central City on July 30.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout