Gothenburg girls win state title, local athletes shine
Gothenburg’s junior high girls won the team title at the Nebraska Championship track and field meet for junior high competitors in Gothenburg on Saturday.
The Swede girls earned 53 team points with three gold medals, all earned by eighth-grader Tiani Reeves, who was named the Outstanding Female Athlete.
Gothenburg’s boys finished second as a team with 52 points with three gold medals.
Eighth-grader Seth Eggleston took first in the high jump clearing 5-6 and both the 4x400 and 4x800 relays won.
Runners were the same for both relays: Eggleston, Jacob Franzen, Jacob Clark and Zach Wolf. They set new meet records in both races.
Columbus Scotus won the boys title with 56 points. Alan Varela of Southern Valley earned the Outstanding Male Athlete award.
Find the complete story and individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Ehmen relative donates relics to local museum
- With help of Gothenburg teen, near-death experience ends OK
- Healthcare concerns
- Resident gets permit for taller fence
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Rural Nebraskans’ optimism up this year
- Runners taking it one step at a time
- Gothenburg hitters pound opposing pitchers at Lex Invite