Gothenburg girls win state title, local athletes shine
Gothenburg’s junior high girls won the team title at the Nebraska Championship track and field meet for junior high competitors in Gothenburg on Saturday.
The Swede girls earned 53 team points with three gold medals, all earned by eighth-grader Tiani Reeves, who was named the Outstanding Female Athlete.
Gothenburg’s boys finished second as a team with 52 points with three gold medals.
Eighth-grader Seth Eggleston took first in the high jump clearing 5-6 and both the 4x400 and 4x800 relays won.
Runners were the same for both relays: Eggleston, Jacob Franzen, Jacob Clark and Zach Wolf. They set new meet records in both races.
Columbus Scotus won the boys title with 56 points. Alan Varela of Southern Valley earned the Outstanding Male Athlete award.
Find the complete story and individual results in our print edition. Receive the entire issue of the Gothenburg Times on-line in PDF format each Wednesday for only $25 per year. Call 308-537-3636 to subscribe.
- Two Swedes in winner’s circle
- Cozad contains Swedes in rivalry game
- Swedes fail to sweep Chase County
- New county leadership
- Eagles fly high after 1-1 weekend
- Gasoline prices catching up with drop in crude oil prices
- Lecturer says genetically engineered animals could ease world hunger
- Peterson: Movie-making in Chicago friendlier atmosphere than in LA, NYC