Former Swede coach named LJS coach of year
Former Gothenburg girls basketball coach Tom Tvrdy was honored as the 2011 Lincoln Journal Star Girls High School Coach of the Year.
Tvrdy, who followed his six-year stretch at Gothenburg with three years at Fremont before taking over the program at Seward.
The Bluejays carry a 75-game winning streak—the fifth longest in state history—and have won three consecutive Class B state championships, each with 25-0 records.
Tvrdy’s coaching success took a little while to get started. He began his head coaching career in Rising City in 1989 and identical 1-15 seasons followed. He spent a year at Cozad before coming to Gothenburg for the 1992-93 season.
He found success quickly at Gothenburg posting a 16-4 record the first year. Two seasons later he started a three-year stretch that found Gothenburg winning 62 games and losing only four.
He went 112-19 for his six seasons here with a Southwest Conference record of 29-4 and five SWC crowns.
Tvrdy is married to the former Shelly Block who was a standout athlete at Gothenburg High School in the 1980s. They are the parents of three children—Titus, who just finished his freshman year at Iowa Western; Hannah, an all-stater basketball player who will be a junior next fall at Seward; and Carson, who is in elementary school.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair