I-80 accident victims die from injuries
Two additional people, injured in a rollover accident on Interstate 80 on Nov. 7, have died.
Nebraska State Patrol public information coordinator Deb Collins said Simon Jacinto-Mendez, 36, of Kimball, passed away Nov. 8, at Creighton Medical Center in Omaha .
Last Friday, 23-year-old Katie Griggs, 23, of Brush, CO, died at Good Samaritan Hospital in Kearney.
The 2-year-old son of Griggs—Joshua Atkins, also of Brush, CO—died on Nov. 7 at Bryan LGH Hospital in Lincoln from injuries sustained in the accident.
The accident happened about a mile east of Gothenburg when 22-year-old John Horn, of Julesburg, CO, attempted to pass a semi-truck trailer in the westbound lane about 7:25 p.m.
Collins said Horn, who was driving a Geo Prism, then over corrected and entered the median.
Horn, who was wearing a seat belt, was treated and released from Gothenburg Memorial Hospital.
He was later cited for not having an operator’s license.
Griggs and Jacinto-Mendez were not wearing seat belts and were ejected.
Collins said Atkins was in an improperly secured car seat and was also thrown from the vehicle.
- Eastside offers cremation services
- Pinpoint outage affects landline customers
- Junior golf ends with championship tourney
- Swimmers end season with new league record at Plains tSunami championships
- Property owners urged to comply with nuisance rules
- Commissioners approve new fiber optics provider
- Black Hills Corp. to buy out SourceGas company
- AREA NEWS DIGEST