Challengers file for hospital, airport seats
A Gothenburg doctor and an anesthesiologist are running for seats on the Gothenburg Memorial Hospital board.
Dr. Jay Matzke, medical chief of staff at the hospital, and anesthetist Stan Roethemeyer have filed for election to the five-member board.
Three seats are open this election year.
Board incumbents Dr. Carol Shackleton, Monty Bowman and Mike Bacon have filed for re-election.
The May 15 primary is when hospital board candidates are elected.
The race for two seats open on the Gothenburg Airport Authority board has widened.
Richard Fiese, Sr., has joined challenger Ken Christensen and board incumbents Dave Collins and Kent Kline in the race.
The names of Airport Authority election hopefuls will appear on the Nov. 6 general ballot.
Incumbents for the authority have until July 16 to file and challengers by Aug. 1.
In other races, the filing deadline for challengers is Thursday. Incumbents had to file by Feb. 15.
Other candidates who have announced plans to run for offices include:
Gothenburg City Council—East-ward candidate Duane Olive and west-ward incumbent Jeff Kennedy.
District 20 school board—Candidate Jeremy Sitorius and incumbents Amber Burge and Lisa Geiken.
Dawson County Commission—Dean Kugler of Gothenburg, P.J. Jacobsen of Cozad and Butch Hagan of Lexington, all who filed on the Republican ticket.
May 15 is the Nebraska primary.
- New paint job
- City sales tax to fund $1.4 million of RDA project
- Swedes grind out 40-21 win over Valentine
- Food Backpack Program added to list of agencies that get United Fund support
- Swedes scramble to split triangular
- Gothenburg tax levy ranks fifth in county
- Brady village budget passes; trustees may make change in lift station involved in lagoon project
- Brady runs over Broncos in blowout