Challengers file for hospital, airport seats
A Gothenburg doctor and an anesthesiologist are running for seats on the Gothenburg Memorial Hospital board.
Dr. Jay Matzke, medical chief of staff at the hospital, and anesthetist Stan Roethemeyer have filed for election to the five-member board.
Three seats are open this election year.
Board incumbents Dr. Carol Shackleton, Monty Bowman and Mike Bacon have filed for re-election.
The May 15 primary is when hospital board candidates are elected.
The race for two seats open on the Gothenburg Airport Authority board has widened.
Richard Fiese, Sr., has joined challenger Ken Christensen and board incumbents Dave Collins and Kent Kline in the race.
The names of Airport Authority election hopefuls will appear on the Nov. 6 general ballot.
Incumbents for the authority have until July 16 to file and challengers by Aug. 1.
In other races, the filing deadline for challengers is Thursday. Incumbents had to file by Feb. 15.
Other candidates who have announced plans to run for offices include:
Gothenburg City Council—East-ward candidate Duane Olive and west-ward incumbent Jeff Kennedy.
District 20 school board—Candidate Jeremy Sitorius and incumbents Amber Burge and Lisa Geiken.
Dawson County Commission—Dean Kugler of Gothenburg, P.J. Jacobsen of Cozad and Butch Hagan of Lexington, all who filed on the Republican ticket.
May 15 is the Nebraska primary.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates