Fire fighters called to put out two weekend blazes
Fortunately, there were no injuries when the Gothenburg Volunteer Fire Department was called to fight two different blazes on Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday evening, members were called to a field northeast of the rural residence of Dale and Myra Gronewold.
There, an electrical problem in the engine compartment on a John Deere tractor caused the equipment to catch on fire while Dale was doing field work, according to fire chief Mark Ballmer.
Ballmer estimated damage at $3,000 to $5,000.
On Sunday afternoon, fire engines roared to the residence of Floyd and Brenda Holt where a small outbuilding was on fire.
Ballmer said Floyd had used a cutting torch in the area which may have caused a spark to smolder.
Damage there was estimated at $300 to $500.
No injuries reported in either fire, he said.
Central Nebraska is more susceptible to fire because of warm, dry weather, Ballmer said.
“Our area is in red flag days which makes open burning not allowed,” he said.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates