Golfers win DC meet
VanAcker shoots personal best 74
It wasn’t the nicest weather for a golf meet and the overall team score didn’t drop as low as coach Don Graham would have liked but a personal best by senior Jeramie VanAcker helped the Swedes capture the title in the Dawson County meet at Wild Horse Golf Club on Thursday.
VanAcker shot a two-over-par 74 to take the individual title for the meet.
“Jeramie had a really good day,” Graham said.
Teammate Jackson Graham finished second with 83 and Alix Meisinger rounded out the Swedes in the top eight placing fourth with 85.
“It wasn’t our best day and it wasn’t our worst,” Graham said. “We won and we had some kids play really well. All in all, I guess that’s OK.”
With three meets scheduled last week, Graham was forced to mix up his team each outing to keep players from missing too much school.
He said that meant the true varsity didn’t play together at any of the meets.
“That’s not all bad,” he said. “It gives some kids a little more experience and hopefully that’s a good thing in the long run.”
The Swedes planned to compete at the Broken Bow Invite on Friday but the meet was postponed to May 1 due to weather.
They will travel to Cozad for the Southwest Conference meet beginning at 11 a.m. on Friday and play again at Cozad’s invite at 9:30 a.m. on Monday.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates