Gothenburg boys capture SWC Cup
Gothenburg High School boys returned to the top of the Southwest Conference this spring, claiming three activity championships to win the SWC Cup for the second time since the award’s inception.
The SWC Cup award was implemented in 2010 among conference schools and is similar to the Nebraska School Activities Association’s U.S. Cellular Cup presented statewide.
Points are kept for all conference activities, either for tournament performances or regular-season results.
A first-place finish in a SWC event earns the school 10 points in either the boys or girls division, with fewer points awarded for lower places.
Ties remain ties and points are split.
With championships in speech, track and golf, the Swedes earned 52.5 SWC points.
Cozad finished second with 47 points.
Gothenburg won the first boys SWC Cup in 2010 and Ogallala captured it in 2011.
On the girls side, Minden retains the SWC Cup title for the third straight year.
The Whippets won SWC volleyball and basketball titles this school year.
Gothenburg’s girls were second with SWC titles in speech and track.
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet
- Swedes take homecoming loss to Kearney Catholic
- Women in Agriculture conference Nov. 4-5
- Bag of blessings - helping cancer patients find hope
- United Fund kicks off 2016-17 campaign
- Barnes wins national championship buckle
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair