Football players earn C1-9 district honors
Nine Gothenburg football players were recognized among the best in the C1-9 district by coaches during the annual fall meeting last week.
Six Swedes earned all-district recognition. The teams were not divided between offense and defense this season as so many players were effective on both sides of the ball.
Three Gothenburg players were named honorable mention.
Junior quarterback Blake Ristine and senior running backs/linebackers Preston Franzen and Logan Sheets received all-district recognition along with offensive/defensive linemen Tanner Borchardt, a sophomore, and Adam Speck, a junior, as well as junior kicker Trenton Long.
Seniors Garett James and Logan Koehler and junior Skyler Kottwitz each earned all-district honorable mention.
The Swedes, who finished 6-5 on the season, had the third most players receiving votes for the all-district honors.
Kearney Catholic, the winner of the C1-9 with a 4-0 district record and a 10-1 finish overall, had 12 players receive recognition. The Stars were defeated in the state quarter-finals by Adams Central.
Cozad had 10 players earn honors while Gothenburg and Chase County received nine each and Minden had eight.
Gothenburg finished 1-3 in the district this season, defeating Minden, and made it to the Class C-1 quarterfinals with victories over Cozad and Chadron before falling to Boone Central/Newman Grove.
- Consultant retained for Lake Helen City engineer finalizing design
- Surveys reveal BBQ challenge successful
- Tears, laughter, dancing highlight GHS graduation
- â€˜Circle of Friendsâ€™ said to be successful
- Tiani Reeves leads a group of five Swede state qualifiers
- Swedes place 8th at Cozad Invitational
- Golfers improve on West Wind course
- Legion baseball season begins May 23