Gift of involvement is the best
Jesus spoke about children in this manner, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” Even people who do not believe that Jesus is the son of God or believe in God for that matter, can recognize that a man of that era with this insight, was remarkable.
In America, Christmas is a national holiday. Many people exchange gifts and celebrate the birth of Jesus with family and friends. The giving of gifts is especially focused on children. Many of these gifts are essentially lumps of injection molded plastic, but still parents enjoy watching the anticipation, excitement and joy that lights up the eyes of their children as they unwrap the desired lump they have been waiting for.
In the wake of recent horrific events, I would like to suggest a gift that in my opinion would be more lasting. Thinking of my own shortcomings as a parent, I think we should strive to give the gift of greater involvement in our children’s lives. Hold them close and love them. We can’t know that the next time we watch as they walk away and see them turn to wave, won’t be the last time.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates