Hahn becomes first GHS freshman medal winner at state
Swede girls place 11th.
The Gothenburg girls cross country team and Collin Hahn competed in the state cross country meet last Friday in Kearney.Hahn, a standout freshman ran solo and represented the boys team well. He finished the race in 17:27 and earned a medal in 12th place.
“He ran an outstanding race and gave outstanding effort,” head coach Steve Reeves said. “He didn’t have a bad race all year and handled himself well at state.”
Hahn is the first freshman to medal at a state meet in school history, Reeves noted.
On the boys side, Milford captured the team championship scoring 45 points. Cozad placed fourth with 79 points.
Individual champion was Levi Avila from Mitchell running the race in 17:04.
The Gothenburg girls struggled as the Swedes finished in 11th place but head coach Steve Reeves remained positive about their outcome.
“We were battling some injuries and that probably contributed a little to our finish,” Reeves said. “You look at the fact we competed at state and finished as the 11th best team. That is a big step we made from the last couple of years.”
Columbus Scotus took home the team championship scoring 45 points. Cozad was sixth.
Individual champion was Celeste Cardona, a freshman from Mitchell, running the course in 20:18.
Leading the charge for the Swedes was Sydney Gruber who completed the course in 22:25.
Overall, Reeves said he feels both teams did well this year with their youth and inexperience.
The girls and boys are both young squads that gained good experience this season.
“I was particularly impressed with the girls team and the positive things they had going on,” Reeves said. “They have a season they can build on.
With the season over, Reeves said he can look ahead at potential runners on next years’ team and see postive things.
“There are some good young runners that are coming up in the program,” Reeves said. “In order for them to help us out next season they have to log summer miles.”
GIRLS TEAM SCORING
1. Columbus Scotus 45, 2. Norfolk Catholic 60, 3. Wayne 63, 4. Boone Central/Newman Grove 68, 5. Chadron 82, 6. Cozad 105, 7. Platteview 109, 8. Wahoo 127, 9. Fairbury 147, 10. Adams Central 148, 11. Gothenburg 153.
SWEDE VARSITY GIRLS
Sydney Gruber 22:25
Jaci Teahon 22:52
Jennifer Maline 22:46
Destiny McVay 23:30
Keely Lecher 23:31
Amanda Kowaleski 25:40
BOYS TEAM SCORING
1. Milford 45, 2. Mitchell 68, 3. Fort Calhoun 78, 4. Cozad 79, 5. Columbus Scotus 81, 6. Boone Central/Newman Grove 110, 7. Syracuse 111, 8. O’Neill 115, 9. Kearney Catholic 118, 10. Boys Town 120, 11. Raymond Central 130, 12. Bishop Neumann 166
SWEDE VARSITY BOYS
12. Collin Hahn 17:27
- Ehmen relative donates relics to local museum
- With help of Gothenburg teen, near-death experience ends OK
- Healthcare concerns
- Resident gets permit for taller fence
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Rural Nebraskans’ optimism up this year
- Runners taking it one step at a time
- Gothenburg hitters pound opposing pitchers at Lex Invite