Relay For Life planning meeting set for Feb. 15
Help wanted. All “Cancer Fighters” needed to help plan and coordinate the 20th Annual American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Dawson County.
The first planning meeting for team captains, committee members and anyone interested in learning more about Relay For Life will be Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 6 p.m. in the Cozad Library, 901 Meridian Ave, Cozad.
“What a year it is starting out to be with $10,000 plus already raised,” said Pam Ackerman of Lexington, event chairperson. “I don’t believe this has ever happened before and it is a positive indication of what all of us can do in 2014.
“Let’s not forget the Thanks A Million award from the American Cancer Society. Relay fundraising in 2013 brought Dawson County up and over the $1 million mark. What a remarkable and proud moment for all of us to realize the cancer fighting power right here in our own back yard.”
Points of discussion at the Jan. 15 meeting will include:
1. 2013 Wrap Up/Survey Suggestions
2. 2013 Nebraska Summit Review
3. Relay Theme for 2014
4. Fundraising Goals—Overall, Teams, Individuals
5. Number of Teams—Returning & New
6. Survivor Recognition Event
7. Luminaria for Caregivers
8. Committee Recruitment
9. OnLine Team/Member Registration Assistance
“I want new opinions, new suggestions, new ideas,” Ackerman said. “Plan to attend monthly meetings and give it your best. Let’s make 2014 the best relay yet.”
To register a team or to join a team, go to www.relayforlife.org/dawsoncone. Team members are asked to pay a $10 commitment fee.
To find a Relay event nearby, go to www.relayforlife.org.
For more information about cancer and the American Cancer Society, go to www.cancer.org or call 1-800-227-2345.
- Four Swedes finish season at state meet
- Swedes advance to post-season play
- Eagles remain atop District 9 standings
- Ag Land management workshop in Lexington
- Lake, park proposed project revealed
- Vandalism under investigation
- Beauty can shine through at any age
- A quartet of Swedes place at District C-4 meet