Medal eludes Speck in first meet of season
Adam Speck barely missed medaling in the first golf meet of the spring.
The Swedes posted a team score of 394 for 10th place in the North Platte Invitational Friday at River’s Edge Country Club.
“The weather was windy and not terribly cold but it wasn’t real nice,” Swede coach Don Graham said.
Speck’s scorecard showed a consistent 43-43 for an 18-hole score of 86. The 10th place medalist shot an 85.
Speck mentioned to Graham that he had trouble missing greens. However, the coach noted that the River’s Edge greens are much smaller than at Wild Horse Golf Club.
“You miss a green by 10 feet (there), you are probably putting here,” he said. “A lot of kids aren’t used to playing smaller greens like that when you have our size of greens.”
Speck also said he was putting very well, as were his teammates.
Green conditions are slow this time of the year, Graham said, making it a bit easier to putt.
Gothenburg played in chilly conditions Tuesday in a dual hosted by Lexington at Lakeside Country Club. The Swedes host Broken Bow next Tuesday for a dual at Wild Horse.
- Day care center in church gets special permit
- Husker Heritage tourney returns July 18 with new name
- Borchardt ends career with all-class gold
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Input of farmers’ sought for ’15 crops
- Doctor to join GMH after residency
- After tornado cuts swath through downtown, what do you do?
- ‘Ugly corner’ improvements move forward with city council action