Speck and Ostendorf lead Gothenburg at SWC
Gothenburg golfers showed some incremental progress at the Southwest Conference Meet Friday at Ogallala.
Broken Bow claimed the SWC championship carving out a 332 on the Indians’ home course. Cozad placed second with a 339. The Swedes finished in seventh at 381.
Riley Ostendorf, a sophomore, tied senior Adam Speck for low team scoring honors, each with a 92.
“Riley had a pretty good round,” Swede coach Don Graham said. “He has been progressing along pretty well.”
Ostendorf is adjusting to some grip changes made this season.
“He’ll have three or four pars and then have a triple or a quad,” Graham said. “A lot of it has to do with that new grip and the changes we’re making to his set-up.”
However, consistency is improving as he is getting adjusted to the changes.
Gothenburg has three major meets in the next five days. The Swedes will compete in the Ogallala Invitational Thursday. Tee times start at 9 a.m. MDT.
The Cozad Invitational scheduled for Monday will now be played on Friday after being postponed because of cold, wet weather. A 9 a.m. start is scheduled.
Poor weather has been quite frustrating for Graham and his team. The coach had planned on playing reserves in the meet on Monday but will likely use varsity golfers Friday as a tune-up for the District B-4 meet at Cozad Monday. District action begins at 9 a.m. MDT.
- Training for emergency preparedness
- Gothenburg FFA members compete at state fair
- Learning to adapt to change
- City Council sets tax request and levy for 2016-17
- Cornhusking contest returns to Harvest Festival after 17 year absence
- Summer evening bike ride goes wrong
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates