AREA NEWS DIGEST
Taken from the news columns of area newspapers.
Colors of every hue brighten Cozad with art
COZAD—After a year’s hiatus, the summer fun art lessons, sponsored by the Cozad United Way and the Cozad Area Arts Council, took place June 2-6. Ms. Teresa Savick, Cozad elementary special education/TLC teacher instructed 40 students grades kindergarten through fifth, assisted by Savannah Savick, Garrett Savick and Megan Burkholder. This year’s lessons were centered on “Color Theory.” Projects included color wheels, stained glass windows, Andy Warhol art, complementary and contrasting colors, monochromatic puzzles and more. The week culminated with a public art show along with a special visitor, Henri Museum’s artist in residence, John Groesser.—reported in the Tri-City Trib.
‘How It’s Made’ TV segment filmed in Bow
BROKEN BOW—A four-man crew was recently filming in Broken Bow focusing their expertise on the 30-year-old company Sargent Pipe to gather footage for a possible segment on the TV show, “How It’s Made.” The show portrays a documentary-style that demonstrates how common, everyday items are made, and Sargent Pipe machines not only everything they use in their manufacturing process, but they engineer and machine the equipment they use to make the product. If all goes as planned, the segment will be featured on the Science and Discovery channels’ show in 2015.—reported in the Custer County Chief.
Cowboy magazine features Ogallala
OGALLALA—Ogallala is featured in the collector’s edition, “Legends Lonesome Dove” of the American Cowboy magazine. The edition is focused on the television mini-series, “Lonesome Dove” which aired in 1989. In the lead of editor Bob Welch’s column, he commented about the early stages of the project, the cast and crew, and that it was a dead medium being a Western. However, he went on to write, it is as alive now as it was then at Ogallala, Fort worth, TX, and Dodge City, KS. All have dedicated pages and information of things to do and see when spending three days in each area.—reported in the Keith County News.
Record set at 24th fishing tournament
CURTIS—The 24th annual Medicine Creek Fishing Tournament got underway June 7 and concluded with a weigh in at Stockville Cafe on June 8 with Tom and Melissa Campbell taking first place in the rod and reel division, breaking the previous record set in 2005 with 87.65 pounds. The largest catfish caught was 12.1 pounds by Larry and Kelly Poppe who also hooked a total 106.7 pounds for first place in total pounds in the set line division.—reported in the Frontier County Enterprise.
1880s church in Arnold now a memory
ARNOLD—A building that served as Arnold’s first frame church was torn down recently by members of the United Methodist Church, who own the property. The church, constructed in 1885 south of the present city park and dedicated on Nov. 29, 1885, was moved to its present location on the corner of North Carrol Street and West Madison Avenue in 1911, after being found to be on a railroad right-of-way. In 1933, the church group disbanded and since 1977, the church was known a the Arnold Christian Community Center. Demolition was necessary as the building had become condemned. Plans are to landscape the area and maybe construct a storage building. The church’s original bell will remain where it is at, on the southwest corner of the lot.—reported in the Arnold Sentinel.
Church’s new style called ‘Prairie Gothic’
CALLAWAY—Parishioners of St. Boniface Catholic Church celebrated the completion of a nearly two-year, $719,000 projection to completely rebuild the church and the interior design of Eileen Ratigan of Sacred Heart Church Art of Callaway. The church family celebrated by inviting the public to see it during a recent open house. Gone is the plain, boxy interior of the church built in 1969, transformed with soaring 26-foot peak ceiling with curving arches and hand-built stained glass windows. Ratigan refers to the design as transitional in bridging the ancient artistic patrimony of the church to a more contemporary worship style that she calls, “Prairie Gothic.” Incorporated are pieces of the original 1908 church including a statue of Mary, the original crucifix and even the original altar had been incorporated into the new one.—reported in the Callaway Courier.
- New hospital safety ratings now available to the public
- Mentees, others share value of TeamMates
- Playground equipment tops Lake Helen priority
- School administrators reorganize with one less
- Turning to the next page
- The Crossing gets special use permit
- AREA NEWS DIGEST
- Hotline brings sellers and buyers together